I haven't been quilting or sewing much in the last few months. I've been training, reading up on mobility, and working in the garden / back yard. But, I finished one project during staycation: fabric balls! I'm still searching for a permanent location to hang them from. They're sitting on our crazy living room shelves right now, but I want to get them somewhere that I can hang at different heights and distances.
I had to make these when I saw them in Make it Sew Modern. I couldn't figure out how they were done! Each one was much more time consuming than I thought they'd be, but I love the small family of balls I have now.
I got rather cheap $5/yd knit fabric from Joann's (dreaded Joann's but when you want something cheap, go there). Cut 1" wide strips, then cut those in half in the short direction so you have roughly 22" x 1" strips. Length doesn't matter, width does.
Here's the (only) tricky part. You need to figure out how to get the tension on the topstitch of your machine tight enough that the fabric curls. You can either increase the tension on the thread (if your machine has it) or you can pinch the thread where it comes out of the spool and before it goes into the machine. Use a 1/4" seam. Practice on this--I had loose gathers, too much gathering, and broke the thread at least 50 times throughout. The small balls took roughly 50 pieces of fabric.
You end up with these caterpillar looking things.
Roll them up.
Hot glue them to foam balls. I used 4", 5", and 6" foam balls. Invest in a good glue gun. Use skewers to poke the fabric "flowers" down and scooch the flowers close together. The glue is hot. Do not use fingers.
Keep going and fill half of the ball.
To attach the ribbon, glue about 2" down and then insert pins at an angle opposite to the pull angle of the ribbon. You know, like you would put tent stakes in the ground.
Their current home is in our living room on our shelves.